02 May 2008

The SQUALL

So last night, after work and work, I come home to my nice little Murphy bed, in hopes of finally getting a good nights sleep. Did I? Nope. At 2 am I awoke to the sound of a train. That's weird, I thought. I don't live next to train tracks. I look outside (at first, I thought there was a disco party in the street), to see the lightening flash, illuminating the wall of rain coming down:


The close up:


Boy, that's a lot of rain. I turn on the TV, I wanted to see if the world had reached its end, and Channel 5 seems to be most apt to tell their audience of their pending doom. Nope, in a matter of about 15-20 minutes or so, the remarkably perpendicular storm line had moved on to Independence and Blue Springs. (Side note: I do enjoy the fact that while KC is experiencing a Storm of the Century, the Channel 5 weather team makes a point to show where the Chiefs' stadium is amidst all the purple swirly doppler clouds, by affixing the little KC Arrowhead just to the side of the Independence marker - such things are important, I'm sure). So I go back to sleep. No death for me tonight, how boring.* So I will conclude with this arty shot I took while using lightening as my flash. Oooohhh:


I cannot let you go with out adding: This is what the overnight weather guy kept repeating last night. "This is a SQUALL. This is completely rare. I apologize to you CSI viewers out there, I will make some calls, we will get you your re-run, but this so rare, we have to be on right now. This is a SQUALL" (mind you, the caps emphasis is all his, although I must agree, that the SQUALL-ishness that abounded this morning at 2 am is completely more interesting than CSI). By the way, can a SQUALL happen in the middle of the country, with no ocean in sight?


Thus spake Megathustra

1 comment:

Brian said...

Yeah, that was one hell of a "Squall"!