12 May 2008

Some of my new favorite pieces...(or, my birthday is coming up...)

Some of my original stuff will be appearing soon (currently I'm dealing with a quick-depleting hard drive on my little white minion, so after transferring shite to the other computer photoshopping it, and transferring it back has taken a bit longer than expected...) Anyhoo, I've been seeking out inspiration via the good ole web...I've come across some old and new obsessions.

The first here, is Glenn Brady. A former punk rocker from Australia, Brady has dealt with crippling depression and anxiety, and drinking to overcompensate. He has been in and out of mental institutions (complete with shock therapy treatments) since the age of 26. But now he deals with his issues through paint. And might I say, beautifully:

Next is Ken Currie
Born in 1960, he deals with physical injury like no tomorrow. The social and political intentions and implications are awe-inspiring...

Mayuko Fujino uses paper cut outs to express her vision of the world. There is a delicate femininity to her work that I find fascinating:

Sally Mann (Thanks Tom!) is a photographer from Virginia whose photographs inspire a cool insanity to a increasingly monotonous world. A few years ago she was "Miley Cyrus-ed" because she published a book with intimate pictures of her children. The jury is still out in my head on how appropriate those pictures are, but in the meantime, her film development style makes my jaw drop.


Thus spake Megathustra

No comments: